The advent of more sophisticated next generation sequencing machines and other new biomedical technologies enables public, private, and university research institutes and laboratories to generate very large volumes of sequencing, drug therapy, drug research, clinical trial, and other life sciences information at faster speeds and with record sizes in the hundreds of gigabytes. Maintaining and protecting this data for the long-term is critical to finding innovative ways to control and manage disease. Without a comprehensive storage virtualization and data management infrastructure to safeguard a complete set of data, doctors and medical researchers may determine incomplete or faulty results.
StorHouse for Life Sciences
In contrast to other storage infrastructures, StorHouse for Life Sciences is a comprehensive and versatile storage virtualization and data management platform specifically designed to administer the massive amounts of structured and unstructured fixed content generated by today's highly scalable and extremely dynamic biomedical and bio-informatics applications. As such, the product provides the high performance, virtually unlimited scalability, and centralized system administration requirements that life sciences applications demand.
Features and Benefits
- High-performance direct reads from tape to accommodate very large files and random access to archived data stored on tape
- Throttling to enable continuous ingest at the maximum possible rates required for large volumes of genomic sequencing data
- Support for Linux platforms, very large file systems, and tape libraries most commonly used in life science applications
- All-in-one platform functionality that provides both archive and backup capabilities
- An industry-standard relational file system layer that archives, retrieves, and/or backs up any format of unstructured data in native file format with no need for application modifications
- Virtualized storage that cost-effectively uses traditional and alternative storage media to lower the total cost of data ownership and provide a measurable, cost-correct ROI
- Automated system, storage, and data management, including storage allocation and control as well as data migration, replication, backup, recovery, and retention
These and other unique attributes position StorHouse for Life Sciences as an enabling technology component in the race to collect, study, link, and analyze critical biomedical information. The goal of such research and analysis is to foster universal health and well-being by preventing, controlling, and managing disease.